Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I haven't forgotten about you...

Yes, I'm well aware that it has been 23 days since my last post.  Not much has happened in regards to the actual transplant.  There has been a minor development with the complaint Joe and I filed in regards to the shenanigans from the surgery that wasn't, however.  Joe's surgeon sent him and I a letter of apology, which in short stated, that because of the events that took place the morning of our postponed surgery, pre-transplant policies will be changed to include more thorough face-to-face communication amongst the different practices involved in transplant surgery.  SCORE ONE FOR FUTURE TRANSPLANT PATIENTS AND THEIR DONORS!   And to think that all I was doing was giving away a measly kidney!  Who knew that Joe and I would be effectively changing the way transplant cases are handled.  I knew my flawed anatomy was good for more than just subjecting me to more imaging studies than most people have in a lifetime.  :-)

So, we are just over 8 days away from Leftie's Moving Day, Redux.  Last time, I wasn't really nervous until I was in pre-op, and that didn't even happen until the tech started stabbing blindly at my arm.  This time, I've had that horrible morning eating away at the back of my mind.  For the most part, I've been pretty successful at stifling the gnawing thought of repeat performance.  As the days draw ever closer, it's getting harder.  Add to that the fact that the patient representative from the hospital has yet to return any phone calls or emails explaining how the rest of our issues have been and/or are going to be handled.   This inattention is not for lack of trying on our part; I left a voicemail for the woman just today and fully intend on doing the same tomorrow.  I am quickly losing my patience with the woman to whom our case was given. 

8 days.  8 days that will surely pass in the blink of an eye.  Of those 8 days, I will work 3, try to have a family fun day on a rare Saturday off, go to the gym a few times, go back to the surgical prep center for another pre-op appointment, and hope to hell that the hospital doesn't royally screw the proverbial pooch again.  In those 8 days, I will once again make sure my house is ready for family to help while I'm recovering, go grocery shopping so there's enough food for my ever-hungry hubby and kiddo, and all the other little nit-picky things that need to be done on a regular basis.  At least I'm not waiting for furniture this time! 

Okay kids, time for bed.  I will make an effort to update if/when I hear back from the patient rep.  It damn well better be before May 2nd.  Otherwise, see you next Friday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment